Tuesday, May 16, 2006

They're Simply Notes Put Together In Bars


Tourniquet is a Christian thrash band who have been around a long while. The album I'm reviewing today has a more power metal feel, but don't worry, the thrash is still there. "Microscopic View Of A Telescopic Realm" is a great and diverse album. Where Tourniquet originated as fast thrash, they've now grown, but still managed to keep the fast thrash feel, only the songs are more complex.

The album starts off with Megadeth like riffing and fires into some good Tourniquet thrash. "Besprinkled In Scarlet Horror" blasts the listener about the flak Tourniquet and other Christian bands like them have received because the music is heavy metal. The band hammers it home lyrically with this song, the words are thought provoking and honest. And I agree. Who said God's praise can only be sung through hymns by church choirs accompanied by an old person tinkling on a pipe organ who almost knows how to play and only hitting wrong notes 40% of the time? God's praise comes from the heart. Everybody knows that and I always laugh when I hear that criticism like this actually happens. Mortification, Living Sacrifice, Tourniquet and many other Christian metal bands sing God's praise with equal if not more passion than any number of gospel/hymn choirs. I'll hold Exousia's "Extreme Love" up against anything Jars Of Clay have done (which, mind you, I'll be reviewing one of theirs at a later date). Whew, that said, the opener pulls you in nicely as well as featuring a flute solo which also appears in "Immunity Vector".


The whole album just rocks, but stand outs are the title track which blasts into you with an sensation of urgency almost like the song is ending before it starts. It works. "Erratic Palpitations of the Human Spirit" is another throw back to early Tourny and I love the narrative style verses.

Along with flute, other power metal influences appear "The Skeezix Dilemma Pt.II (The Improbable Testimony of the Pipsisewah)" with its folk like guitar work and doomy violin solo adds another level to this very Megadeth like song. And the sick goat sounds midway through add a real eeriness to it.


My favourite track is "Servant Of The Bones". It's a solid thrash tune with a great sing along chorus: "Burn me once, shame on you, Burn me twice, shame on me. You'll never get that close, not while I serve the Bones." Beautiful!

I'm going to branch out again, before continuing with more Christian Metal bands, but before I do I want to review Horde. This is a one man "Anonymous" project by a guy whose explored a wide variety of extreme metal.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very passionate argument babe - I'm impressed! :)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hi DPTH,
My name is Carol and I am the conductor of the Friends of the Friendless Marching Band.
I choose a friendless site to feature every Friendly Friday.
You have been nominated for the featured site this week.
Being nominated as a friendless site only means that someone thinks your blog
doesn’t get enough comments and wants you singled out to get more attention.
I hope you will come play along.

Now, you have a different blog.

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marching through (or should I say dancing through?) with Friends of the Friendless Marching Band to say, "You sure do have heart! I like your philosophy."

5:21 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Marching through with FFMB!

Wow, I had no idea this sort of music existed. I mean, I knew there were Christian artists in just about every vein out there, I'd just never heard of these. I'll have to keep an eye/ear out.

I totally agree, praise doesn't have to be hymns. I'm convinced 1st Century Christianity was a lot more raucous and interactive than what we have now, and none of the Apostles owned a hymnal or pipe organ! ;-) Keep doing what you're doing!

9:23 AM  
Blogger wandi said...

Hello. I marching through with the FFMB. I agree with you on the christian worship thing. I really not a fan of the old hyms and plunking notes on an organ. Although I grew up with that. I'm not so crazy about the heavy metal sound either. I do like worship to be rock, upbeat as well as slow praise songs. But I do think that one can worship with all kinds of music. It's all where the heart really is.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm here with the band too.

I play thr flute, but never played heavy metal.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hi again,
Returning to invite you to join our band. We're not heavy metal,but a Marching Band and we are cool!

9:58 PM  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

nice to see you!
another band guy...

12:17 AM  
Blogger Carl said...

hey man, I have to say that you forgot to mention something very key to Tourniquet lore... they were encouraged (and very tight with) the ultimate doom metal band Trouble. The original drummer was even a stand in for Trouble, and Tourniquet covered a song from Trouble's Psalm 9 LP on their "live in the studio" album. Tourniquet has also gone through a lot of personell change. They seemed to work out the vocals, which were sort of distracting in early days, but I honestly feel their best guitar work was on their second and thrid LPs... the second being the best (psycho surgery I think it was called). Keep it up.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home