Sunday, December 23, 2007

My True Love Gave To Me ... A Tattoo Of Ozzy...

Last year Twisted Sister have done what I hope more metal bands do. Release a Christmas album. I also hope the metal bands do it with the same bravado passion that Twisted Sister does. "A Twisted Christmas" is the first new release by Twisted Sister in like over a decade (sans the re-recorded "Stay Hungry" called "Still Hungry" with bonus tracks). And this is a fitting return to form.

As a Twisted fan, I'm in the ~I love the "Stay Hungry" album and I am not real familiar with their other work~ group and I put the Christmas release up there with "Stay Hungry". "A Twisted Christmas" is a flat out solid hard rock/heavy metal album. From start to finish, it's thick solid riffs and pounding drums and even Dee himself supplies some of his best vocal work.

The album starts of with an acoustic guitar strumming and Dee Snider crooning "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" before a band member (I think drummer AJ Pero) interjects with a ~Hey this isn't Twisted Sister, this is!~ and a thunderous drum beat begins and those solid rock riffs come in to turn this little ditty into a very rocking Christmas carol. The intro reminds me of Kermit, Floyd and Animals cover of "Wild Thing" off of "Kermit Unpigged"

It was quoted in Entertainment weekly last year that of all the covers of this song, songwriter "Hugh Martin" was most curious to hear Twisted Sisters version. If that's not a selling point, then I don't know what is.

How about "O Come All Ye Faithful" done the tune of "We're Not Gonna Take It". That is worth the price alone. I have mixed feeling on this song. I don't know if I should enjoy this brilliant re-imaging or be disturbed that Twisted Sister ripped off a Christmas Carol ... I don't know... ah I just kidding, it's a brilliant move and a great cover. And you can't mistake that killer drum beat anywhere.

"Silver Bells", "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" and "Deck The Halls" are all solid crunchy hard rock tunes with anthemic choruses and cool solos. Even "Deck The Halls" has a slight dark, gothy edge to it. Pretty sweet!

"I'll Be Home For Christmas" features a duet with Lita Ford who joins Dee Snider on the mic to make this the heavy metal ballad of Christmas time and a song I'd like to see featured on any number of the Christmas special on this time of year!

"The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)" is another slower song, but no less chunky. Some solid guitar work here. And "Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow" is almost punk like in energy and has a cool riff.

The goofy album closer "The Twelve Days Of Christmas (A Heavy Metal Christmas)" is not high on my list of favourites here, but its corny heavy metal themed lyrical take on "The Twelve Days Of Christmas" is silly enough to carry me through to the end of the album. It's tongue in cheek, but is a solid heavy metal tune.

For an album I thought would be deliciously cheesy, I was blown away by the solid thick guitar sound and booming drums in what is a surprisingly thunderous production of some Christmas classics. A real treat for any Twisted Fan or of unique takes on Christmas carols.

It's so good, I listen to it all year round.

Coming up tomorrow is my review of "Monster Ballads Xmas".

2 Comments:

Blogger The Dragon of M87 said...

Gotta be worth a listen...

2:13 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

And the DVD frickin' rules even more, trust me on that. And also, my brother, do yourself a favor and go listen to Under the Blade and You Can't Stop RnR immediately...you don't know Twisted until you know those albums...gems, 'nuff said

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home