Sunday, July 15, 2007

Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin' Catchy

I like Warrant. And I'm not talking about the German Speed Metal band of the early 80's either. I'm talking about the Sunset Strip Glam metal/hard rock band Warrant. Now when I say I like Warrant, I mean I liked Warrant. Up till "Dog Eat Dog" that is.

Now we can debate the controversy of the first couple albums and who played what on which song and such, but I simply just want to review the album and in so may refer to said members as listed as the band. So without further ado, let's see what I have to say about "Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin' Rich (DRFSR)".

"DRFSR" is a very catchy album and I would go so far as to say there is not one bad song on it. The guitars are heavy, the vocals are passionate and charismatic and the songs are melodic and memorable. Whether you like it or the band or not, it is a very good album.

"32 Pennies" starts the album off in a groovy, playful way that hooks the listener in with its sing a long lyrics and nice guitar work. It's everything you'd expect in a good hard rock song. "Down Boys", my favourite song, continues this trend, but adds some nice keyboards to give the song a more uplifting and melodic edge, as does "Big Talk" to a lesser extent.


The album also includes the standard "sex" songs one would expect in "Cold Sweat" the weakest song on the album in my opinion, but a catchy flat out rocker all the same. And "So Damn Pretty (Should Be Against The Law)" which is just a great rock song musically and lyrically. The title track and heaviest song on the album is sludgy in quality and lyrically cheesy, but fun. I hope it wasn't meant to be serious.

"In The Sticks" and "Ridin' High" are both hooky melodic songs with groove and catchiness. The 2 ballads here are fairly standard fair, but are extremely well done. "Heaven" which garnered the band loads of fame (and a re-recording for later pressings) is a fun, sappy song, but feels heartfelt. I much prefer the moving and powerful "Sometimes She Cries". The intro solo is beautiful and the song comes across as sincere and sticky sweet all at once.


All around "Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin' Rich" is just a good fun album which you can't go wrong with. The sound is big, the music is huge and the band is over the top. I can't imagine Warrant playing anywhere but arena's.

During the recording of "DRFSR" Jani Lane had a nervous breakdown when he "Saw Red" which would become one of
the gems on their follow up "Cherry Pie". That's next week.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These guys were a big deal here in RI when this album dropped. Big time airplay, especially after 'Heaven' was released as a single.

This is definitely a solid debut but I never seem to reach for it. Maybe knowing the controversies surrounding Jani Lane and the band have soured me on Warrant? I'll have to go back and re-listen.

If this were '88, I'd say: "Hell yeah, great album!"

Steve
Heavy Metal Addiction

11:30 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I never got into Warrant. They just always seemed kind of bland to me, not much there.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Drizel said...

Always learn kewl new stuff here...:)

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is some serious hair!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Wowzers, kudos to your conviction, bro. Of course, no arena is ever going to house them again, big sound or not. Sad reality.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home