Sunday, September 24, 2006

I'll Have The "Kermit The Frog Legs" With A Side Of Self Respect, Please

Who butchered Kermit the Frog? That is the question I've been hearing as of late. Unfortunately, it twas I who throttled, choked and beat senseless our beloved Kermie. I'm sorry. My intent was to do a rockier version of "Rainbow Connection" fro a company BBQ over lunch. What was so so working at home during practice sessions came off as ridiculously amateurish, pubescently performed and just down right terrible. I was hopefully going to have a full cover of me playing a heavy version of "Rainbow Connection" all fun and cool, but all I have to offer is a little over a minute of me butchering a childhood classic.

I will redeem myself! But til then, shall review the original song.

Rainbow connection was written by Paul Williams and Kenneth Ascher in 1979 for the The Muppet Movie. It was performed by Kermit the Frog (Jim Henson)during the first scenes of the movie in Kermit's swamp. The song speaks of hopes and dreams which not only not only applies to the film, but to the Jim Henson Company as well.

"Rainbow Connection" is a sweet banjo strummin' tune sung with heart. Jim's performance is passionate and the song which could have ended up sappy and cheesy soars with thoughtful lyrics and orchestral heart stirrings. What I've found while I was slowly killing the song is that there are deeper darker undertones. Like the haunting bridge before the last verse and lyrics like ~Who said that every wish would be heard and answered when wished on the morning star? Somebody thought of that and someone believed it,and look what it's done so far. I love the song, it's magical yet grounded in reality, it's cliche without actually being cliche. It's no wonder the song rose to #25 in the Billboard hot 100. And I'm not surprised for the Muppets have been more than just a puppet show, it was intelligent and original and we just don't see a lot of that these days. But alas, I digress. If you are not aware of this song, please check it out, it's fun. And don't let my cover ruin it for you. And with this I'll end my "shocking, surprising" non metal reviews and I'll be back with some brutal albums. Till then feel free to check out my very first gig (much better than my Kermie) to get into the metal spirit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

loved your brother comment..lol..

I love Kermie. He is so precious. Actually i love all the muppets. awesome way to spend time. I, i mean the kids, owned all their movies and hours of their sketches..i have a special place for a few of them too, Miss Piggy is up there..

thank you for posting your rendition of the song. as you said, poor Kermie ;p ..Oh, it wasn't as bad as you wrote. it was fun actually. i think it's wonderful that you entertained the audience. and you play mighty nice. glad that you are posting the videos, nice to see what you look like and how you sound.

can't wait to see more surprises before too long.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Maybe it's not really a classic until someone butchers it.

1:41 PM  
Blogger anonymous jones said...

We are our own worst critics.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home